Tuesday 10 April 2018

About That Junk...

Remember back a long, long time ago I started playing around with a pile of  destashed "junk" that I picked up from Adrienne over at Seam Work? (**She moved her old blog, Chezzetcook Modern Quilts, to the new site which reflects her new biz!) I free pieced a center panel and then sent it along with the bag of junk out into the big, wide world for additions by Anja and Adrienne herself. You can read all about the beginnings of the project here in this old post. Eventually, in the latter part of 2017, it came home to roost and one day, out of the blue, I decided to haul it out and finish it. I set the end of 2017 as my personal deadline for its completion, because sometimes you just have to draw a line in the sand, right?


I sewed up slabs using all the bits and pieces in the bag...everything that was there went into the flimsy. I held nothing back. I gave no regard to print or pattern, did not discriminate between the shapes or sizes... I simply sewed. Blissful, mindless sewing.




All. The. Junk.
All. The. Colours.

There were JUST enough larger pieces to build a back... and a scrappy binding. Remember I mentioned my new sewing space is once again on the small side? Well, it's a good thing there's a bit of room on the landing because occasionally things sorta sprawl out there when more space is necessary... it's not an ideal setup but it works in a pinch!





I really love this quilt: it was a super-fun challenge, it's full of scrappy, wonky goodness, it cost next to nothing to build, it fits perfectly on my couch but mostly, it reminds me of my pal! :)


5 comments:

  1. Yay you for finishing it! I think it looks really super. The centre bit makes me chuckle when I see it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE THIS! I particularly love the way you have arranged the fabrics in the "background" light at the top left, getting darker and blue-er toward the lower right. "Arbitrary" my ass! That's your inner artist coming through.

    You go girl!
    hugs
    your pal, Lynne
    (Millie sends purrs)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is BEYOND AMAZING -- and I love it thoroughly. Especially since it holds good stories and memories in those seams. WAY TO GO!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just don't take over the giant dog's bed and you'll be OK! Love the quilt. Great stuff. There are some people who can put together random stuff and make it look like it belongs together. I think you got the talent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done!! It was definitely an interesting project. It looks great.

    ReplyDelete